Friday, February 13, 2009

Cupcake art: Tasty and Attractive

Today I watched a live streaming webcast wherein cake artist Zilly Rosen of Zillycakes in Buffalo, NY, created an astounding food-art image entitled "A New Birth of Freedom", of Presidents Obama and Lincoln at the Smithsonian American Art Museum. A total of around 5,900 cupcakes was needed to shape this massive work, which was assembled by Zilly and a small team of assistants.

It was really enjoyable to listen to Zilly interact with passersby, interviewers, and children who were visiting the museum.
I must say, I've got quite a hankering for cupcakes now!
The installation will be eaten tomorrow, following the museum's Presidential Family Fun Day. I'd love to taste! According to Zilly's commentary during the webcast, I believe she said the cupcakes have buttercream filling, with the filling of the ones forming Obama having chocolate flavoring :-)

No comments: